This page contains relevant information about how to port the existing ROS packages to a new station.
- Ubuntu or a Linux based distribution
- ROS Indigo 14.04
- Make sure that all the packages needed to develop Baxter programs are there such as: baxter_simulator, baxter_interface, baxter, baxter_description etc.
If the required Baxter packages are not installed go to the following link to install them.
- Create a ROS workspace
- Copy or move the existing packages into your workspace (inside the src folder)
- Go to the base of your package and run the catkin_make command
- If all goes well you have successfully managed to port the ROS packages to a new station if not see the What might go wrong section?
What might go wrong ?
1. Compilation errors with packages from the NOT_REQUIRED_FOR_DEMO
NOT_REQUIRED_FOR_DEMO contains code that is written during development which might suffer frequent modifications.
Two alternatives to solve it:
- simply delete the folder with all its contents and resume the make process, as the contents of this folder are available in the repository.
- create CATKIN_IGNORE file inside the package folder (e.g. touch /path/to/package/CATKIN_IGNORE)
2. Error: xdot package not found
How to solve it: sudo apt-get install ros-indigo-xdot
3. Problems with the sensor driver
How to solve it: sudo apt-get install ros-indigo-openni2-*
4. Problems with the communication
Make sure that the time step of you laptot and the robot are the same.
5. Problems with the USB channel of the sensor
A simple solution is to plug out and the plug in the sensor one more time.
6. Problems with the Py-Modubus module
Install the the module using pip or the following command sudo pip install pymodbus
or you can install it from the following github address.
7. Errors during catkin_make
Due to the fact that the ROS packages are built on a thread based manner different issues might appear. One common error
is the fact that some packages are built while their dependencies are not yet ready, which results in errors.
A simple solution is to repeat the catkin_make command several times or to run the catkin_make -j1 which will build the
packages using a single thread, it will take longer but will do the job.
8. OpenCv or PCL not found during catkin_make
If porting the existing stack to a new computer several packages, tools might be missing, OpenCV,PCL included, which is why the errors during building are raised.
You can install them with the following command sudo apt-get install ros-indigo-perception
9. ROSLint package not found during catkin_make
The rviz_stream package depends on the ROSLint package. According to the official wiki the ROSLint represents "CMake lint commands for ROS packages. The lint commands perform static checking of Python
or C++ source code for errors and standards compliance." You can install it using sudo apt-get install ros-indigo-roslint